Thursday, May 5, 2011

Questionable Emails Cast Shadow on Plymouth Roofing Projects

Here are more email exchanges between Tremco's Doug Copley and Plymouth School officials from last summer.  The emails speak for themselves.  The conflict-of-interests are blaring, and the fact that the plans had been in the works for two years is unbelievable!  So much for a fair process!  The fact that a Tremco rep is offering help with the financial planning for roof projects should raise big red flags for taxpayers!

August 4, 2010
From:  Doug Copley (Tremco)
To:  Rodger Smith, Plymouth Schools


Hi Rodger-


Thanks for a copy of the paperwork.  I appreciate your cc'ng me in as it is both interesting and helpful.


I'd love to be involved with the planning team.  You are exactly right with the point that roofing is a big part of the project and thus should have representation.  Also, since we've been planning for this for nearly two years, I can easily help you move the portion of the funds that were used on roofing, this summer, over to another project.


With this, I appreciate all of your support and look forward to seeing you guys tomorrow!


Doug Copley

Here's an interesting one that warrants further investigation.  Indiana law requires school districts to employ independent architects to design a project.  The fact that the roofing company is involved in securing an architect should raise giant red flags!!  Taxpayers should demand a full accounting of this smelly process.  It really stinks to high heaven!

August 23, 2010
To:  Rodger Smith
From:  Doug Copley, Tremco


Hi Rodger-


I hope you had a good weekend!


I wanted to let you know that two of the local AIA's who previously signed up for the reduced (roof) fee structure are CSA Architects and Design Collaborative.  CSA has done a significant amount of AEPA work and are extremely qualified in roofing.  In turn, Design Collaborative is also very good.  In my opinion, either firm would do a good job.  I'm sure there are other AIA's who will accept the reduced fee structure, but it will take me a little while to double check.


I spoke to CSA on Saturday and they confirmed that the fee for the Plymouth roof project would be $11,000.  Based on the size and scope of the project, I'm very pleased with the amount.


Please let me know if Jane or Kurt have any questions and I appreciate you letting me sit in on the conference call!


Doug

Well, Jane and Kurt may not have had any questions, but I sure do.  If Tremco helped write the specs as indicated in earlier emails, what services did the architect provide for $11,000?  Did he stamp a project that he did not write specs for?  I think those are valid questions.  Would you mind answering them, Doug?  We're all ears.  Oh, and by the way, for those new to this issue, the AEPA that was mentioned stands for Association of Educational Purchasing Agencies.  It was the mechanism used to rip off taxpayers by Educational Service Centers until the Attorney General put a stop to the illegal practice.

To:  Doug Copley, Tremco
From:  Rodger Smith, Plymouth
Date:  August 17, 2010


Doug, 
Your ears must have been burning, I was going to call you today.  The telephone conference will be at 1PM on Thursday.  Do you want to join us here or I can send you the conference call info to call in?
Rodger


Reply:
Hi Rodger-
I hope school is off to a good start!
I wanted to check in with you to see if you've decided on a date for the (construction) project committee?
Thanks Rodger and I'll talk to you soon.
Doug Copley

To:  D Schoof, Plymouth
From: Doug Copley
Date:  September 2, 2010


Hi Dave-
I just wanted to let you know that a few guys (and me) will need to be on the High School, Middle School and Jefferson roofs tomorrow.  I'll check in at each place, but I wanted to give you a heads up.


Let me know if you have time to grab some lunch.  I'd like you to meet one of the guys (Rick Gibson) if at all possible.  Rodger knows him and he's a good guy.


Thanks Dave!


Doug


To:  Rodger Smith
From:  Doug Copley, Tremco
Date:  September 8, 2010


Hi Rodger-
I wanted to see if you'd have a few minutes to grab a sandwich?  We performed the infrared (thermography) last night at Lincoln and PHS and I wanted to update you on the good news.


Thanks!
Doug

More emails to come as time permits...

No comments: